My first day at John Carroll was excellent. The day was filled with many new experiences and adventures. My first class was Honor Human Geography with Mr. Schick. Mr. Schick scolded a student for arriving late in a humorous way. He then went on to tell us about the class syllabus and his expectations for us. Next I had Honors Spanish with Mrs. Michael. I felt a little lost when all she did was speak Spanish. My next destination was advisory. This was the easiest ten minutes of the day. My advisor, Mrs Markel handed out cookies and talked to us a little bit. The next class on my schedule was Honors English with Mrs. Zurkowski. We handed our summer reading work and did an activity to get to know the students in our class better. Next I was headed to my first STEM Meeting of the year instead of the cafeteria like everyone else. Mr. Monaghan seemed like a very fun person to do STEM with. He has lots of experience in the field. Next up, my first math class, Honors Algebra 2 with Ms. Pleiss. I felt as if it was rather simple as it was just a review from what we should have learned last year. After that I had my first off mod. I am not used to having this much freedom as in middle school we were always told where to go. The last class for the day was Intro to Bible with Mr. Kimble. Mr. Kimble cast a very good impression as he rides to work to conserve energy and the environment. We learned about who and what kind of a person John Carroll was. I found this part fascinating. I learned that John Carroll was a Jesuit who lived in Europe after ordained a priest. Then we were dismissed from our first day of school at John Carroll.
Latitude and Longitude
The main focus of today's discussion was latitude and longitude. The two terms almost mean the same thing. The only difference between the two is that latitude runs East to West and longitude runs North and South. These lines divide the earth up into a grid like pattern which helps to identify where a certain place or area on the planet. there are special lines of latitude and longitude which can help to further categorize sections of the planet. Examples of these lines include the Equator, the Prime Meridian, the Tropic of Cancer, and the tropic of Capricorn. The Tropic lines are at 23.5 degrees North and 23.5 degrees South, respectively. There are also the Arctic and Antarctic circles which are very distant from the equator. The 'highest' and 'lowest' points on Earth are the North and South poles. A probate future test question is "What is the difference between meridians and parallels?" The answer is that parallels, obviously, run parallel to each othe...
Comments
Post a Comment